12.21.2010

Top Tip Tuesday 5

I hope you blog is coming along with the four past tips!  Here is another one done by Louise:

Be consistent: 6 ways to improve consistency


Today’s top tip is “be consistent”. You can help your readers by keeping certain things consistent. These probably do seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people do these!

1. Don't keep renaming your blog

Renaming your blog all the time can lead to confusion and frustration for your readers. Imagine getting used to a blog and then landing on it one day only to find it looks completely different and has a different name. You can laugh, but it happens! If you really must change your blog name, tell people first, especially if you’re also going to change the design too.


2. Don’t keep changing your blog URL

This isn’t good for SEL because it essentially means that none of the links you currently have out there point to your blog. Sure they can be changed, but it takes time to build up search engine recognition and changing your URL all the time stops you building up this recognition. It’s best from an SEO point of view if you can keep the same URL. Trust me on this one. My Google PR was 4 or 5 before I bought my own domain name (effective changing my URL) and now my PR is 0 and has been for months. I have no idea if it will ever go up again :(


3. Don’t keep deleting your blog and setting up new ones

This is linked to points 1-3 above really. Creating new blogs all the time means that your readers need to re-subscribe/re-follow and causes confusion and frustration. Whilst you want to keep people stimulated, avoid doing things which cause annoyance.


4. Keep something consistent in your blog design

When you change your blog design you can help your readers understand that they have landed on your blog by keeping something consistent between each design. This is essentially your branding so it’s important to get it right. It might be your colour scheme, font or a logo for example. In my own designs, I usually keep the lovebird logo and just vary it by resizing and recolouring it


5. Get some posting memes/themes

Not only does it save you having to think about what to post on a given day, it also helps provide some structure and consistency to your blog. If you haven’t got any ideas, why not ask your readers what kind of themes and regular features they’d like to see?

In what ways are you consistent with your blog? Any areas where you could improve consistency?

I hope you found this feature useful, if you have any questions or comments, then leave a comment below and I'll do my best to answer it :)


About Louise: I am 35 years old, married and live in the UK. I am a blog designer with over 20 years experience producing digital graphics and over 10 years writing on blogs. My main blog is my blog design blog, Adori Graphics, where I sell custom blog makeovers and premade blog templates as well as posting tutorials and blog freebies. I consider myself an "ethical blogger" and believe that everyone should give something back to the blogging community, which is why I write guest blogger articles, offer sponsorships to blogger conferences, sponsor giveaways and run a free blog makeover program called Write From The Heart.


These tips are helping us out but do you have a tip you think is needed?  Email me at byutatortot@gmail.com

0 Comment(s):

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.