12.07.2010

Top Tip Tuesday 3

This is our third Top Tip Tuesday!  Have you enjoyed it?  If you have a tip you would like to share please email me at byutatortot@gmail.com!  Thanks


Engage your readers: 6 ways to keep them engaged



Today’s top tip is “engage your readers”. Keeping your readers engaged not only stops them being bored and makes them more likely to come back to your blog, but it entices more readers to your blog too. Think about it…you regularly read 2 blogs, one where the poster has one sided discussions about themselves and one where the poster asks for your opinion on things. You only have time to visit one blog each day, which would you choose?

Here are some ways in which you could engage your readers.


1. Write thought provoking posts

Write a thought provoking post and ask your readers for their thoughts. Aim to be thought provoking but not controversial, if you don’t want confrontation.


2. Ask for readers opinions at every opportunity

Ask your readers’ opinions on everything from your blog design to your new widget etc. It can be anything really, just engage them in something.


3. Create opportunities for people to join in

You can encourage reader input by starting a post where other people can create a similar post and link their posts to your. You can use tools such as Mr Linky to do this. I use this feature for the weekly challenge that I host on my photography blog.


4. Ask for guest bloggers

There’s no better way to engage with your blog readers than by having them write for it! This offers your readers the chance to have their name seen by other people and maybe pick up a few follows for their own blog. It’s a win-win situation.


5. Ask what your readers want

Ultimately, you’re writing for them, so find out what interests them


6. Change things around once in a while

Bored readers are not usually well engaged, so remember to change things round occasionally – whether it’s your memes, features or even your blog design.

Always remember that a blog which engages people will draw in the visitors (or should I say “repeat visitors”), whereas one where the posts are all one sided isn’t likely to be terribly popular. Ask for opinions, feedback etc

How do you keep your readers interested and engaged?

I hope you found this feature useful, if you have any questions or comments, then leave a comment below and I'll do my best to answer it :)



About Louise: I am 35 years old, married and live in the UK. I am a blog designer with over 20 years experience producing digital graphics and over 10 years writing on blogs. My main blog is my blog design blog, Adori Graphics, where I sell custom blog makeovers and premade blog templates as well as posting tutorials and blog freebies. I consider myself an "ethical blogger" and believe that everyone should give something back to the blogging community, which is why I write guest blogger articles, offer sponsorships to blogger conferences, sponsor giveaways and run a free blog makeover program called Write From The Heart.

1 Comment(s):

My Diabetic Sweet Life said...

Will send my readers over here to read this post :)

Love the new winter look!

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.